- Do you sometimes struggle to put into words what you do?
- Does the question, “So, what do you do?” ever catch you off guard?
- Would you like to be able to consistently communicate the value of what you do to others in a way that doesn’t feel ‘icky’?
Whether you’re kicking off an inter-departmental meeting, introducing your team to a prospective client, chatting to a ‘key person of influence’ at a coffee-break, or delivering a 1-hour keynote, you need to be good at talking about what you do.
- There’s the clarity of your message: from a commercial standpoint, what’s your proposition, what makes you different, what’s the value that you deliver?
- There’s the way that you use your voice and body—so much of our communication is non-verbal.
- Then there’s your mindset and intention: does this conversation feel like a privilege or a chore, are you enthusiastic about and aligned with what you’re saying, or is something a bit ‘off’?
Argh! There’s so much to think about!
Give this the time it deserves. We only get one chance to make a first impression, so make this important.
- Brainstorm with your team, your coach or an accountability buddy.
- Rehearse some more.
Make sure you’ve invested quality time in exploring these three areas, so that you feel confident when you’re talking about what you do.